Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pop the Lock and Throw Away the Key

What a day. I can't say it was good. It was definitely far more bad than good, although I think it's mainly because I am in a bit of a funk and throwing myself a pity party. I suppose everyone is entitled to it at some point. That's not the point of this post though. Tonight I had one of those experiences as a mother that was slightly scary, slightly funny after the fact, and a learning experience as well. Tonight I left my keys in my car as I had no pockets and my kids were playing outside at my mom's house. After we were done playing and I was ready to take them back to our house, Alex climbed in the car, and I heard the beep of the key fob as Alex locked himself, and my keys in the car. Would it have made sense to not leave the keys in the car? Absolutely. Did I even think of that at the time? No. I was mainly thinking that I did not want to lose my keys running around outside. My mom and I were coaxing Alex to try to unlock the doors and he was pushing every button but the right ones. At this point, Alex was pouring hand sanitizer all over my car, jumping from seat to seat and making cute little faces like "I know better, but I'm so cute it's ok".

Meanwhile...

Moving on to the wedge idea. My mom asked me at this time if I had ever had anyone help me break into my car before. I said yes, and suggested we get a screwdriver and a wire coat hanger to try and force our way in. As my mother is trying to break into my car, all the while I'm playing with Daniel and trying to coax Alex into opening the door, she comes up with the idea to check and see if a neighbor had a kit to break into a car. This was about 45 minutes after we got started. I drove down to my neighbors house and yes he had a kit to open up a car. He and another neighbor came up and as they were working towards unlocking the door, Alex began to play with the lock and as my neighbor encouraged him to "pull, pull harder" and suddenly, the lock popped open. All it took was a little encouragement from a man with a deep voice. Apparently that's what it takes to make my sons listen to me and stop goofing around.

So tonight was a learning experience and also another reminder of how smart and wonderful my little boys are. Lately I have just hated leaving them so much. I would love to stay home with them all day. Alas that is not in the cards for a single mommy, but as I put them to bed tonight, I was already counting down the moments until Saturday, when I have two full days to spend with my baby boys. I'm going to head to bed now to deal with myself before my day at work and away from my boys tomorrow.

Good Night for Now!

Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment